Monday, June 9, 2008

Community Store Conversion


The time had to come. I have wanted to change Sun Eaters Organics to a Community Store/Coop since late last year and while I began putting some things in place, I also allowed sundry diversions to derail me. Well, the time has come to move ahead and we are doing so. All of us at Sun Eaters are trying to play our part in getting this to happen as swiftly and as seamlessly as possible.

Why a Community Store/Coop?

1) To share the work. Over the past two years I have worked more than I imagined possible to get this project up and running. I am finally at a point where others can come in and share what needs to be done while accruing numerous benefits. My body, my family and the other projects in which I am interested need me.

2) To have a rational financial basis in the organic sector. I have witnessed, with distress, the development of a mindset here in Trinidad and Tobago that organic is akin to 'gourmet'. It is not. I have probably contributed to this perspective by having to have higher than desired prices for the imported goods. As our size of shipment increases it becomes more and more possible to bring in our goods in a more environmentally friendly, inexpensive way. The Community Store/Coop will help to keep prices lower than we even dreamed possible for everyone. And for Member/Owners the goods will be further reduced in price. I envisage a time when for Member/Owners it will not cost much more to buy organic than to buy chemically-treated, non-sustainable produce.

3) To have a super active outreach and community education program. The place where we shop should be the place that is supporting the community in which it is located. As an individual owner I have done tons to support the community, but with a collaboration with other member/owners I will be able to do much much more. I cannot wait till we have our own newspaper columns, our own billboards with progressive information, our own Green Pages, and lots more!

4) To develop our region. The Community Store/Coop will have much more ability to work with others in the region than I will have on my own. My vision of this is expansive and I will share it in upcoming writings. What's your vision?

5) We are ready! Over the last few weeks it has become increasingly clear that the population is now at the perfect moment for this initiative. I have sent out many e-mails discussing development of the business, challenges to the business and the ongoing challenge of encroachment by confused profiteers. Your e-mail/telephone/in person response has been overwhelming and incredibly supportive. Sun Eaters has become a part of life for many of you and you seem willing to do something to ensure that the vision we espouse here grows and develops.

Thank you.

No comments: