Monday, May 19, 2008

PROGRESS!!


Some things do get better. And one of them that I have to report on is the recycling situation. Can you believe that one year ago most of you had nowhere to recycle anything? And now you can easily drop off in Woodbrook if you live or work in the North West.

The recycling has gone so well that the bin has now been moved from Sun Eaters compound. We were filling the bin so quickly that Piranha - the recycling company - has put a much larger bin on Murray Street in the park. It is shaped like a large bottle and is made of wire. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll give better directions.

When I first decided to put the recycling bins in place I got lots of negative feedback - and I myself had my doubts. It would make it hard to keep the place clean (somewhat true), it would take really long to fill the large bin and the bottles would attract flies (not true - it filled every week and Piranha did a great job emptying once they got the rhythm down), and it would take lots of effort on my part (true but now I have at least one volunteer and others are coming). And now it has gone so well that I won't even have to deal with these problems.

Last week when the Piranha guys came by I felt like a parent saying goodbye as their child moves out. Tears came to my eyes as they dragged that red bin away and put it into the truck (sad music plays). And when I walked outside to simply toss a plastic bottle in I did feel a moment of regret when I realized that I would have to walk around the corner. But my heart sings to see how - when it is made easy - we are willing and able to adjust our behaviors in the right direction.

No comments: